Food, Photos and Travel

Thursday, October 19, 2006

New Shots from Vietnam

I took a lot of pictures while I was in Vietnam, so I am still going through them and editing them when I have the free time. I love getting to relive the experiences every time I open my folder of RAW files, and then watching the colors come to life as I fine-tune the curves and contrast. I'm often asked what kind of post processing I do on my images, and the answer is not much. I always shoot in a low contrast mode, so I can capture as much fine detail as possible, but then I almost always add more contrast to the final image. Occasionally, I will boost the saturation a bit, but that's about all I do. Most images take me only 1 or 2 minutes to process.

This is a shot that I took as we arrived Ta Van village, at the end of our 8 mile trek. When we arrived in the small village, I was called over to a doorway with some music and singing spilling out. Inside was a group of young, pre-teen girls learning the traditional dances of their tribe. I like the softness and colors of this picture, especially the green wall contrasted with the bright pink and orange of the girls' clothes.



This is a shot from the Temple of Literature in Hanoi. This ancient university dates back almost 2000 years. The temple is located in the middle of Hanoi, yet it is very green and lush. It was very hot and humid when we visited.



Within the temple, dozens of Stelae carved with the names of doctors and teachers are carried upon the backs of sacred stone turtles.



Cua Dai Beach located on the South China Sea was about a 5 minute bike ride from my hotel in Hoi An. One morning, while relaxing in the hot Vietnamese sun, this little fishing boat came by but the driver seemed to be lingering close to shore for an odd amount of time. I soon realized that his motor had died, and he was trying to get it started. He eventually got it working, but there was lots of work and smoke involved!



I took a day trip from Hanoi to the town of Ninh Binh. Here you can hire a woman to take you on her boat down the small river, through a cave and to a small temple on the river bank. The area is also known as "Halong Bay on Land" due to the similiar limestone karsts.



You can view all of my photos from Vietnam HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home