Food, Photos and Travel

Monday, April 07, 2008

Costa Rica

Part 1: Monteverde

It's been a week since I've returned home from Costa Rica, and I'm finally starting to get back into my normal routine. I always seem to go through a bit of a depression period when I return home from traveling, but I've learned how to manage it and work through it.

I don't even know where to begin in describing Costa Rica. As my friend Jenn said "I've been to some pretty cool places, but none have pulled on my heart as much as Costa Rica", and I couldn't agree with her more. It is a stunningly beautiful country, with mountains and beaches, friendly and happy people, great seafood, perfect weather, and lots of adventure. I can see why so many expats and retirees make it their home.
Our first three days were spent in the cloud forest of Monteverde. I've spent some time in a cloud forest in Ecuador, and the environment was very similar. We stayed at a fantastic little lodge called the Arco Iris. The rooms range in price from $25 for a small budget room to $140 for a cabin large enough to fit 4. Everything is made from gorgeous teak wood, and there are lovely little Costa Rican carvings dotting the grounds. The lodge is in an excellent location, in the town of Santa Elena, but it feels like it is away from it all. On our last evening there we were treated to this:



In Monteverde there are several companies offering "Canopy Tours", or what we Americans would call "zip lines". Each person wears a harness and zips from tree top to tree top through a series of cables. At the end of the course, there's a huge tarzan swing, where leap from a 15 meter high (at least) platform and swing out into the jungle. Our first day there, we went to Selvatura Park. Jen and I enjoyed it so much we went back a second day to 100% Aventura for another round.

Miss Jennifer on the zip line (look at how long and high it is!)


Me (photo taken by the aforementioned Miss Jennifer):


The views in Monteverde are nothing short of spectacular.



On our way to the beach:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home