Food, Photos and Travel

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sedona

I just returned home from spending 5 days in Arizona. The reason for the trip was to attend a conference of soap and candle makers, but since my in-laws live there, I decided to take my son up a few days early and make a mini vacation out of it.
I didn't really take many pictures while I was there, because it was a vacation, and my son doesn't have the patience to stand around while I try to get the perfect shot.

We arrived in Phoenix early in the afternoon, got our rental car, and headed up to Sedona. We stopped at Montezuma's castle for a short visit, which was really cool (awful, high-noon lighting).

The next day we got up early and hiked into Boynton Canyon, a minor vortex area of Sedona. It was a beautiful 5 mile hike. We saw several deer, and a lot of birds and lizards along the way. When we returned back to town, we had lunch at the Coffee Pot (home of 101 different omelettes) and then I took Quentin to Slide Rock State Park
for a swim. The park was packed with people, but the water was cool and exactly what we both needed after the long morning hike. If you are in the Sedona area, it's well worth a visit.

Later in the evening we signed up for a sunset hummer tour of Sedona. The particular tour we signed up for was being touted as the "most extreme 4x4 tour in Arizona" and I believe it. Five days later, and I still have bruises from the seat belts. The views were stunning, though:



The only chance I had to do any real photography was later that night after the sun had gone down. I noticed that it was a full moon, so I grabbed my camera and headed out to the Chapel of the Holy Cross to get a few shots. Quentin was sound asleep in the car, so I had the chance to do some really long exposures. Even though I got a few shots with then stars in the sky, I loved this shot of the chapel rising out of pitch blackness:



After shooting the Chapel, I headed up Schnebly Hill Rd, to a little outlook with views of all of Sedona:



Directly behind me was the moon illuminating the valley:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home