Food, Photos and Travel

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Felidae

One of my favorite books of all time is a novel called Felidae, by German author Akif Pirinçci. It's murder mystery story, written from the point of view of a cat. While the idea sounds cute and nice, it's actually a very dark and detailed story of murder and religious fundamentalism, with a healthy dose of animal torture thrown in. No, it's not exactly pleasant.

I picked up the book on clearance for $3 quite a few years ago, and ended up loaning it to a friend when I was finished. My friend moved away, and I never did get the book back and of course it went out of print. Three or four years ago, I was searching the internet for a used copy (which I found!), I also discovered there is a sequel. Actually, there were several sequels, but only one that got published in English. I immediately ordered a copy for an outrageous sum of money. I also discovered that there was a MOVIE! It was an animated film released in 1994, but it was never released in North America due to the violence and sex. Apparently the powers that be thought that there would be too much confusion and a whole bunch of kids would be corrupted. I finally, after several years, found myself a copy of the DVD that has been dubbed to English, from a seller on Amazon. It only comes in PAL format, so I had to buy a new DVD player just to watch it. I should be getting those later this week!!



Separated at birth?


The Fred Kitty was very curious when I was outside taking a photo of the book...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home