Food, Photos and Travel

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Holy Cow

I've been home for 5 days now, and I'm still finding it hard to put the experience in to words. I just fell in love with India immediately. From the moment we stepped off the plane we were just engulfed in the sights, and colors, and aromas. I want to blog about the whole trip, but it was long, so I'm going to have to do it over several posts. We did and saw so much, and I don't want to forget anything!

We arrived in Delhi late at night, and were met at the airport by our driver and taken to our hotel: The Hotel Palace Heights in Connaught Place. It was a clean and modern hotel with a fantastic restaurant. Delhi is an insane city. There is just so much of everything: people, cars, rickshaws, tuk-tuks, shops, noise, smog, and did I mention people? On our first full day we did some sightseeing around the city, seeing the Amber Fort, Chandni Chowk market in Old Delhi where we took a bicycle rickshaw, Humayan's Tomb, and the Gandhi memorial.

The next day we woke up early for a morning flight to Ahmedabhad where our driver was waiting for us (he had left the day before to get there for us). We drove several hours to the Udai Bilas Palace in Dungarpur. The palace was like a time warp. Everything was straight out of the 1930's and 40's. Furniture, old photographs, and even old hunting trophies (including a few tiger heads from the 1930's). The maharaja still lived in the private portion of the palace. My room was this big round room, with a huge bathroom (complete with claw foot tub) and a balcony overlooking the lake temple.



Our second evening in Dungarpur, was the conclusion of the Ganesha Chaturthi, an annual festival to the God Ganesha. Jen and I walked into town that evening, and a local family invited us to the roof of their home to watch the festival. As the sun went down, the fireworks and singing began, and these huge fruit bats were flying above us. It was an awesome welcome to India.



One of my favorite photos of the trip came from the market area in town. I love how her Saree matches the wall:



to be continued...

1 Comments:

Blogger Clean & Bright Soaps and Candles said...

Wow, Rebecca! Love the photos. I'm looking forward to following your blog over the next little while to read all about your adventures, and see the gorgeous pics :)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home